You don’t like getting up on a cold, crispy morning. Neither does your car or van! At least most of us get covered up and kept warm at night. Not all vehicles are garaged and protected against the elements. So, time to touch basics on winter motor care.
- USE A SCREEN PROTECTOR when temperatures dip below freezing.
- USE DE-ICER SPRAY into frozen door locks.
- START THE ENGINE AND GET VEHICLE HEATING ON, while you are de-icing.
- DON’T USE WIPERS ON A FROZEN WINDSCREEN, it wrecks them. Scrape the screen clear of ice first.
- Ensure you have good all round visibility from your motor before driving off.
- IF THE ENGINE WON’T TURN OVER and it sounds like a machine gun going off under the bonnet, it’s a battery problem with the noise coming from your starter motor. Get your vehicle battery checked. Even a brand new battery will only produce half its rated load below 5 degrees C.
- CHECK VEHICLE BRAKES, including the handbrake. See your local garage.
- CHECK ALL VEHICLE FLUIDS, oils, water and antifreeze levels.
- CHECK TYRES. Tyres should regularly be checked for wear, tread and air. If the snow hits, winter tyres are ideal – we can get those for you, too.
- THOSE DRIVING REAR WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES consider carrying a few paving slabs in the boot of your car! The added weight improves traction in ice and snow. Can also be placed in front of wheels to help you move forward if stuck.
- CARRY WARM CLOTHING AND A BLANKET in the boot, plus a pack of biscuits, bar of chocolate and water or a thermos hot drink. If you are on special medication, ensure you carry it with you.
- ENSURE YOUR MOBILE TEL is working and fully charged up.
- IF DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE SEVERE, ask yourself, do you really need to make that journey? If you do, tell a family member where you are going. Give them an idea of when you should arrive and that you will call to confirm safe arrival. They will be expecting that call.
KEEP OUR NUMBER HANDY! If you need us, remember Bushey Hall is here for you, offering 24-hr recovery, and service, mechanical, diagnostic repairs, full bodyshop facilities, MOT’s and tyres. Ask our reception about the unique new Bushey Hall Garage platinum service.
Drive safely and a very Happy Christmas from all at Bushey Hall Garage.